We draw on cultural traditions from across Asia in festivals and events that bring the museums to life for visitors of all ages. Immerse yourself in celebrations featuring art, music, theater, dance, and food that highlight local and international artists and communities.
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Celebration
Saturday, May 18, 12–5 pm
How are Asian American artists expressing and reinterpreting cultural identity? Find out with activities for all ages inspired by traditions from Asia and the United States. Experience live performances in the galleries, meet local and international artists, and create your own artworks.
Activities will include:
- Khánh Lê and Soul & Ink, 12–4 pm, Freer north plaza
- Indian Painting Traditions: Create a Madhubani, 12–4 pm, Sackler pavilion
- Make Your Own Minhwa: Traditional Korean Folk Painting, 12–4 pm, ImaginAsia Studio
- Indian Music/Indian Art: Saili Oak, vocals, Sandeep Das, tabla; 12 and 4 pm, Freer gallery 5; 1, 2, and 3 pm, Freer gallery 1
- Film: Burning, 2 pm, Freer, Meyer Auditorium, followed by a reception and discussion, Freer conference room
Saturday, June 22, 5:30 pm–12 am
Ring in summer at Solstice Saturday, a Smithsonian-wide celebration of the season with special events, programming, and late-night hours at museums and other locations. At the Freer|Sackler, experience the art and cultures of Asia through performances, art making, unique tours, and our exhibitions. From 5 to 9:30 pm, mark the final hours of Empresses of China’s Forbidden City, 1644–1912 with fascinating curator talks, Chinese opera, food, and more. The celebration continues until midnight with a dance party and pop-up performances in the Freer.
- Food for an Empress: Recipes from the Chinese Imperial Court, 5–9 pm, ImaginAsia Studio
- Art for an Empress: Create Your Own Royal Portrait, 5–9 pm, Sackler pavilion
- Gallery Talks: Empresses of China’s Forbidden City, 5:30 and 7:30 pm, Sackler level B1 lobby
- Entertainment for an Empress: Chinese Opera, 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30 pm, Sackler level B1 lobby
- Gallery Talks: Peacock Room Behind the Scenes, 9:30 and 10:30 pm, Freer
- Late-Night Dance Party and Pop-Up Performances, 9:30 pm–12 am, Freer
This post is also available in: 한국어 (Korean)